Today’s drivers often don’t know what’s going on under the beautiful plastic covers in the underhood of their cars. But absolutely everyone knows about the need to fill up the washer, check oil levels and consumables, including changing spark plugs. The spark plug serves to ignite the fuel-air mixture in the engine and the condition of this element is an important indicator of the performance of the engine itself. And today I will tell you in detail how to replace best spark plugs for Jeep. Let’s go!
1. Prepare all necessary tools before beginning the work. Some spark plug manufacturers supply special tools for measuring the spark plug gap.
2. To perform the work, you will need:
- A 16 mm spark plug wrench, for example, HAZET 900AKF.
- In addition, it is recommended to buy special pliers, such as HAZET 1849, which make it easier to unscrew the plugs.
- 4 spark plugs.
3. The best way to replace the spark plugs is to purchase new spark plugs in advance, adjust their gap and replace each spark plug in turn.
4. The spark plug gap is checked by inserting a gauge of the proper thickness between the electrodes on the end of the plug. If the gap is not adequate, bend the bent portion of the electrode slightly with the notched adjuster until the proper gap is achieved.
5. Turn off the ignition.
6. Remove the mounting bolts and remove the engine cover.
7. Disconnect the spark plug connections -2- of the spark plugs.
8. Blow out the spark plug recesses, if possible, with compressed air.
9. Remove the mounting bolts and remove the engine cover.
10. Disconnect the plug connections of the ignition coils. To do this, pull up the retaining clips.
11. Loosen the bolts securing the ignition coils to the cylinder head and remove them upwards from the spark plugs.
12. Remove the spark plugs with an appropriate spark plug wrench.
13. Check the electrode spacing with a dipstick. With new plugs, the electrode spacing is usually set correctly.
14. To set the distance between the contacts, bend the corresponding mass electrode. When tucking, tip a small screwdriver against the edge of the thread.
15. Apply a small amount of copper-based anti-seize compound to the threads of the new spark plug. Install the spark plug in the cylinder head and screw it in with your fingers as far as it will go, then tighten it with a spark plug wrench head.
16. Inspect the high-voltage (HV) wire carefully before connecting it to the spark plug.
17. Connect the wire to the installed new spark plug, again using a rotary motion and holding the connector until it is fully seated on the spark plug.
18. Repeat the above procedure for the remaining spark plugs in sequence to avoid incorrect connection of the spark plug wires.
19. Install the ignition coils.
20. Fit and screw on the cover.
That Is It!
Now you know exactly how to replace the spark plugs in your Jeep. You will agree that this process is not complicated at all and today you have once again made sure of that. In the end, did you enjoy this tutorial? If so, then feel free to share your experience with replacing spark plugs in the comments and share the link with your friends!